Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Just put those big girl panties on and deal with it!

Ok....Parenthood is not for sissies! No way no how no where does it say parenthood is going to be easy! I always remember my mom telling my sister and I when we were kids to " put on our big girl panties and deal with it". My sister and I would look at each other (give the cuckoo sign) and go on.......I never understood that comment fully until I had children of my own. I have a boy and a girl and my husband has 2 girls and a boy. The boys are relatively easy but the girls....... Oh, the lord could not give me stepford girls....no since that would be way too easy but instead GIRLS who are very diverse!!!

Girls are stubborn, opinionated, bossy, messy and when they become teenagers, they are downright MEAN to each other.....We have 3 in our household. They are 14, 12 and 10. Mal Mal who is the 14 year old is going to be my challenge! She is very much her own person with an attitude to match. She loves the drama and has to be in charge of everything...Then we have Gabby who is sweet, passive and very unsure of herself and just how incredibly beautiful she really is. Anna Banana comes next and she is a funny, silly girl who so badly wants to be as grown as the other two.

The 2 oldest girls share a large bedroom in our house which according to Gabby " is just not fair"...........This said with an eye roll and a foot stomp to emphasize her point....I look at her and calmly say "just put your big girl panties on and deal with it". Oh, no did I just say that???? I sound like my mother!!!!!!! I bet when I turned my back she made the cuckoo sign and went on about her day.....She does not understand how lucky she is to have these other girls in her life but hopefully one day she will. She wants so badly to be grown up and she is not ready for that yet. I really want my 12 year old to stay a tween and not try to act like she is 16 years old. Really, someone please tell me that I am not the only one who feels this way.
I really do like to keep open communication with the girls as I feel that it makes you a better parent. But seriously, are some of these moms living on Mars? Mom, so and so just got her cartilidge pierced can I? No absolutely not....You have 2 holes in your ears and that is all that is allowed in this house....Well, when I turn 18 then I will....My reply, no when you are living on your own and paying all your own bills then you can do whatever you would like....UHHHHHHH!!! That is so cool and you are so mean...Yep that is me...The meanest person you ever met. I deprive you of so much don't I? Mom, Mallory said that she is getting her hair streaked with hot pink this weekend.....Not living in my house she won't. Mal if you return with that in your hair, I will personally take you to the drug store and dye that stuff back blonde the way it is supposed to be. Now, I do not have a problem with highlights in the hair. I am not a prude but really? Number one you can't wear that to school and number two why on earth would you cant to do that to your hair? She has the most beautiful blonde hair that most women would pay big money to have. It just drives me insane when they want to do these crazy things to themselves. I work very hard to build up their self-esteem every day and it just seems to me that some girl at school can erase everything I have worked toward.
Mal Mal recently decided to buy a dress with her mom for the 8th grade banquet and showed it to me via her cell phone. Really, now I am a 42 year old woman with a pretty dang good figure and I would not wear this dress. OMG!! What is her mom thinking? It looks like hoochie mama central (for those not living in the south, that is the same as trashy, slutty etc). She then tells me this morning that she wants to wear it with blue tights to the banquet. What the heck???? Blue tights under a hoochie mama dress. Can you say hoochie to the tenth degree. I suggested that Mal bring the dress back from her mom's house and show it to her dad. I mean really, do I always have to be the bad guy? No way...I can't wait to see that. I am going to get a glass of wine, sit on the couch and watch the fireworks go off. I know that it is not going to be easy but I just really want young women who are contemplating children to stop and think before embarking upon this journey........Girls are tough! I don't know how my mother did it! So, parents of girls and those contemplating it, I just have one thing to say "put on your big girl panties and deal with it!

1 comment:

  1. Big Girl panties can make the world a differnt place! Amen. Girls are TOUGH.
    Let me know what daddy says.....

    ReplyDelete