Monday, February 22, 2010

Fabulous at forty!

I can remember a time when I thought forty was old!!!! Do you guys remember those days? As a child, someone would tell you how old they were and you would think wow...they are gonna die soon. To children the passage of time is so slow and an hour, a day, a week can seem like forever. My mom and dad laughed at a story that I told them one time about my daughter lil ms. sunshine......Gabby's girl scout troop were doing a field trip and her scout leader called to ask if they could go to our family plot and etch the marker. I told her that would be fine and the troop took off to do so. Later in the day, Gabby's troop leader called me and she was laughing pretty hard. She said that Gabby was very excited to share her family history with the other girl scouts. She told the other girls, see that is my Uncle Steve buried there, my grandma boo-boo legs is buried here. This is also my Mi-mi and Da-da's marker and they are not dead yet but will be soon......At the time my parents were about 58 and 67. I thought my dad was going to bust wide open when I told them. It became the family joke to say that you might want to do that since you aren't dead yet but will be soon......Anyway, tell that story to talk about the passage of time and how our perspectives change as we get older. I look at myself now in a totally different light than I did when I was twenty-something and even thirty-something. I look at pictures and I look better now and feel better than I have in years. And another thing I have realized is that life is too short for bull...I just no longer have the patience that I once had for it...Now, I know people who know me well are thinking what the heck???? She has never put up with bull......Some are probably rolling on the floor laughing at this point. However, I have even less patience with it than I used to. Another thing I have learned about myself is that the riches in this world can't be bought or acquired. They must be built through friendships and the relationships that you have with your family. I feel so fortunate that the friends I have in my life are ones that have been with me through good times and bad. They are the type of people who will be there for you without you even having to call or say a word. They just know. Now that being said, I also know that if I get a little up on my high horse, these same friends will be the first to tell me hey "Boss" get on back down here with the rest of us. They love to tease, laugh, make fun of as well as praise me whenever we are together. I can honestly say that forty is best of both worlds for me...I am young enough to have fun and too old to care!!!!!!!

1 comment: