Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm Just Sayin......

I am going to post about something that I have written about before. Parents constantly amaze me now days with the way they parent and teach their children no respect for adults or other people. OMG...If I had dared speak to an adult the way I heard some children and teenagers speak over the weekend, I would have been "knocked" into next week. My dad always said " never speak with disrespect to an adult". If you have a problem and feel that an adult has over stepped their bounds, come to me and I will take care of the problem for you. You have not earned that right.....I Have! And he was so wise in the things he used to say. I to this day tell my kids the same thing. I better never hear you disrespect an adult. It just blows me away that thirteen, fourteen and fifteen year old kids are allowed to speak to adults like that and the parents just sit back and say nothing.
I volunteered at a festival that we have each year in our town over the weekend. It is an annual event that I enjoy being a part of. I was asked to work the kid's event area. I said sure not a problem....Those 3 LONG hours reminded me why I hate parents today!!! I watched little kids (I am talking 2, 3 and 4 year olds) running wild with no supervision, throwing rocks, pushing other kids out of the way with parents either no where to be found, or just sitting back and not saying a word. I think I would have killed mine if I had seen them do half the things I watched these other kids doing. I mean really, and we wonder why our society is the way it is today? I saw a thirteen year old in a pair of shorts that would have had Daisy Duke raising her eyebrows, hanging all over two boys who looked way older than this young girl....OMG, where were the parents? What are we teaching our kids today? That it is ok to treat people, whether they be adults or other children with disrespect. What ever happened to love thy neighbor as thyself? Or even better, spare the rod, spoil the child. I pray every night that my children do not turn away from what they have learned in life when they become parents. I have taught my children that you should love and respect each other but you honor thy mother and father......I know we are not supposed to talk about religion or politics anymore but dang....Our country and all that we were founded upon is in peril and the way of life that I knew as a child is all but gone. I was spanked as a child and made to be accountable for my actions. Am I in therapy because of it??? NO! Do I work hard every day? YES...Was I handed everything by my parents? NO..They taught me the value of hard work and discipline. I washed clothes, ironed my dad's shirts, cleaned the house, cleaned my room, helped set the table and do the dishes afterward. Did I get money for it? NO. It was part of being a family and contributing to that family. I really think it is time to get back to the old fashioned values set up by our grandparents and parents...If we don't, I am afraid of what the future holds for us. I am looking forward to being a grandmother later in life....But lord help me if my grandkids are brats!!!

1 comment:

  1. I had this discussion with my kids the other day. I was shocked at how some of the kids on their ball teams spoke to their parents. It just doesn't work that way around here.

    We just have to do our best to "raise 'em right" :)

    ReplyDelete